Premier Scott Moe has responded to the supports for the oil and gas sector announced by the federal government earlier on Friday.
“Since 2016, the Government of Saskatchewan has been calling for federal funding to clean up inactive oil and gas wells in our province, and today’s announcement from the federal government is a positive step that will put workers back on the job in our oil and gas industry,” said Moe.
Paired with an additional investment in methane reduction technologies, Moe said the federal government has taken a positive first step in providing much needed supports to a vital industry that has been heavily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and global pricing pressures.
Details shared with the government to this point have been limited, he said, and the government has not been made aware of whether this is an initial step of supporting the energy industry, or the only step.
“With liquidity being a daily risk to energy companies, federal funding must start flowing immediately.”
The premier said the Government of Saskatchewan will continue engaging with the federal government to garner more information on the measures, and to continue advocating for this vital industry that supports jobs and families not only in Saskatchewan, but across Canada.